Friday, July 20, 2012

Nearing the end of Davis' trip.


Well then, the days are rapidly blurring together and I've actually had to resort to checking with my journal to figure out which day it is and which I last told you about.

It certainly won't help that tomorrow ( for me [Wednesday, for your reference]) will be around 35, or more, hours long. It's funny how my long plane ride will only take place over 3 hours, eh?

Anyway, on to the events of the last two days. I already mentioned that I had breakfast and that we were heading to go shopping. It turns out that the place we went shopping was closed for either a holiday or because it didn't open until the night, I never could find out which it was.

We decided to walk to another shopping area, but all we found was kendo gear, athletic gear and miscellaneous items. At this point we headed to the Hamilton Shopping District via Taxi. When we arrived, I walked around and found a good amount if awesome things for sale; I even found an awesome mother of pearl clock that was broken for 1000 won, an amount that's a little under a dollar.

After getting our fill of buying, we headed on over to our hotel. After that... We didn't really do that much; just got a pizza for dinner and watched movies.

Wait, I nearly forgot something! I was interviewed about the 2012 Olympics, it didn't take too long, but it was fun. In other news, I did manage to find my watch, so hooray for that.

On to today then.

Today started off with a large breakfast and then a service project.

Brother Beck, is a friend of Carry Kwanjangnim, and he took time out of his schedule to help us. In the end he left his son, Jimwun, to translate and direct us to help some elderly and handicapped people make money by assembling boxes for a company.

We did this for a bit before walking around the non-tourist part of town and then returning to help for another hour. They even gave us some pastries, for our work.

We then took a taxi over to a palace, but once we arrived we found out it was closed on Tuesdays, so we moved on, past an area coated in policemen and guards. We were near the Blue House, a group of buildings that houses government offices. We couldn't take photos of the most guarded ones, due to North Korea most likely.

Afterwards we wandered about, unsure of what to do but we stumbled upon this awesome art place, and saw this cool and ironic art. A lady there was so kind and she actually gave me a book  she wrote about the art.  That might have been my favorite event.

We went to another palace and luckily this one was open but cost 1000 won to enter. It has some fantastic artwork and design and some magnificent dragons carved into some areas, fantastic roofs, and general grandeur.

Later, we headed to Domhyunnuk Market, a massive market that had over grown everything, including the subway system. I had delicious mokibigi and a mondo ( some sort of dumpling like thing.

Aster that, it was getting late so we began the long back to my room.



*****

Funny thing, I'm coming home today. The thing is that today will be over 30 hours. So I estimate around 10 to midnight. I'm not sure yet so I'll give you guys a call when I know for sure.

The international dateline is like time travel, since tomorrow will be today. Weird, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment