Sunday, July 15, 2012

THE DAVIS ADVENTURE CONTINUES

(I've edited this a tad, hoping I'm keeping things accurate and added a few comments.  Mom/Gradma)
On Jul 11, 2012 3:19 AM, "Davis Agle" <davisagle@gmail.com> wrote:

Well then, I'm short on time so I'll keep this relatively brief: it's been a delightful day in which it rained! Well, it was more like a drizzle and you didn't really feel much of a difference between it and just being outside. Still, there was water from above. Apparently, the rain drives out the frogs since I saw so many small brown ones and one green ones with black spots. It also draped around the mountains, veiling them like a hidden world and shrouding them in mystery.

I had a nice long paper cutting seminars where I met several Australians and talked about a variety of subjects including the Titanic and Monty Python. Following the paper cutting was lunch and then a caligraphy session with a famous calligrapher in Korea (he apparently made a lot of the larger signs in Seoul). I made some myself and they turned out alright.


I went on a walk afterwards and then had dinner. I'm still not sure what I ate yesterday though.


***********************************************************************************

Well, the first part of the tournament is over. I made it to the semi-finals before being defeated, however I'm not sure if I should have won but I do feel as though the other three (members of the team) ought to have. Oh well....
( I think Davis is being modest. I'm sure he did as well as anyone)
Still, I got a Silver and that's good. I'm between competitions right now, but I'll need to head back soon to see how much more time I've got (before I compete again).

It's been interesting as of late as I've eaten pizza with the Texas team, hung out with the Australians, went to the water park with the Mexicans!  The rallying cries of the various nations is interesting. All in all this has been a fascinating trip.

I didn't do much better in my later competitions. My demo was wonderful, but we rushed it a bit.

There were some cool demonstrations, especially from the Mexican team, but sadly, my least favorites, the Swiss, won.




Then we had another long waiting period before dinner and the paper cutting began. When it was finally my turn, I made a wonderfully straight cut but 10 centimeters too high.(10 centimeters!!! Can you ever measure something that small?)
***************************************************************
ON TO DAEJEON CITY

It took about 3 hours to reach Daejeon City, which is fairly large; a, metropolis, really.


I've got great news! I just finished my performance for the opening ceremonies, and I think it went well. I'm happy it did, as I seem to have been fluctuating between thoughts of giving up and just moving on to other things. I suppose I've been a dark cloud as of late, but I hope to improve.


After speeches from the Nair and the Haidong Gumdo President, we began to watch the demonstrations. Soon it was our turn and it was almost perfect but maybe too swift.

(I think this is Davis' team.  He's taking the picture.)
I've loved touring Korea vicariously through Davis.  What a great trip.  'Can't wait to hear more.  Grandma
(added Sunday night.  WHAT!!! NO COMMENTS ON THIS GREAT ADVENTURE?)

3 comments:

  1. hope you get this comment - have tried before but not been successful. Wanted to say how well Davis writes and what lovely pictures. Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, which of course we did receive. Yes, I enjoy Davis' writing very much as well.

      Delete
  2. Ooh! OOH!! Of course, I lock on one thing (actually, two): TITANIC and Monty Python!! Two of my Absolute FAVORITE things!!!!!!! "What's 'e going to do, nibble our bums?" and: If they'd spotted the iceberg a few seconds earlier or later, the outcome would have been vastly different. It's as if it was in the cards. If they'd hit the iceberg head on or hadn't reversed the engines while turning, it would have been different. I could go on and on and on....

    As could my heart. Ahem.

    Lift clouds, lift! Persevere, Warrior Davis!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete