Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I witnessed a R A S K (Random ActS of Kindness)


As I was driving to my appointment this morning I thought about something that happened last week and decided it would be fun to share it with the family.
Last week Ken was working in Irvine.  Ususally when he works in California he will spend a night or two at our house but on this assignment, he was being paid by the hour and time is money which you don't want to spend driving back and forth on the highway.  However, he did come down on Thursday evening to take us to dinner and visit for awhile and of course play our long running game of Rummy which has been going since 2011, (wins: Dad 7, Ken 5, me 3).One game is played each time he comes to visit which is about once a month.

The condo behind us has been sold, and new owners, we were told, will move in around the middle to the end of March, so I've been thinking I would be meeting my new neighbors soon.

Ken arrived about 6p and we visited for a few minutes and then headed out the back to go eat.  At the new condo, we saw a Mexican couple with a 4ish year old daughter moving a sofa.  I said, "Oh, are you are new neighbors", but thinking, they are way to young to be living here (55+ requirement).  They sort of smiled and sort of nodded.  Ken immediately went over and took the other side of the sofa that the woman was trying to lift, and we realized they weren't moving it in, they were moving it out.  The man's pickup was close by but they couldn't get the tailgate to let down, so Ken propped his end up on the truck, hopped into the truck bed (with his nice slacks and dress shoes) and they lifed the sofa on the truck.  I am quite sure it would have been extremely hard for her to have done that.  Ken by far did the heavist part of the work.  Far more than the other man.

It was very apparent they did not speak any English.  The owner had obviously given them the keys to take the sofa away.

They said, "muchas gracias" many times as they drove off and we went to a delicious dinner.

That was a R A S K, Random ActS of Kindness and my sweet son did it.

2 comments:

  1. They say the apples doesn't fall far from the tree. I had great examples growing up. Thank you for teaching me to not litter, to be polite, and to try and do my best to help others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Kenny, you're seriously awesome and truly one of the most service oriented person I know. You are always willing to help, no matter the circumstances, and for that, I am extremely grateful.

    ReplyDelete