Friday, September 7, 2012

BACK TO SCHOOL - 1968


Since it is back to school time, I thought I would write about that event in our lives back in 1968, Hawaii. Kenny was starting Kindergarten so all the kids would be in school. It seemed like a good time for me to start college. (Somehow I thought I'd have time for that!) Our niece Carolynn was living with us to see if we could be a help to Betty & Bill with that situation. This is an update letter I wrote to them. It's long but I think the kids who lived in Hawaii will enjoy it. I have a few explanations in brackets, i.e., [  ]  Mom/Jane

This was the house we were living in at the time. 
 
View from the front window.

September 1968

Dear Betty & Bill & family,

Well yesterday was quite a day. Our kids first day at school! Monday will be worse though because Jan starts seminary & I start classes! We have things really well worked out though. Each child gets 1/2 of their piano practicing done in the morning plus Jan, Carol & Carolynn alternate cleaning a bathroom or helping in the kitchen. Dennis & Ruth straighten the living room and Kenny empties the waste baskets. Everyone does their own part of their bedroom and there you are. All done! I must admit that if everything goes perfectly every morning I'll be surprised but there's hoping.

Of course there was still plenty for Mom to do, i.e., washing, ever washing, folding clothes, cooking, etc., but as you can see, I had two very good helpers.


I have writer's cramp from filling out umpty-ump forms to have all the information x's 6 that the schools wants.

I also went for orientation yesterday for Kenny. He goes a couple of hours for 3 or 4 days and that way the teacher can take them in small doses until everyone has adjusted. Then next Thursday he goes full time which is 8 - 2 here. I think it's really great that Kindergartners have the same hours [as the other kids - -that's why I could start college].

The college is alive! It's so much fun to see all the students return and the activities begin. We get to go to all the Lycium series free and the film adventures (Ann could tell you about them) so Carolynn will have the advantage of that. Every weekend some club tries to raise money by having a film so our kids get to go to a good old movie for 25 cents. Last weekend they had Ruth and Samson & Delilah. They've had El Cid, The Three Musketeers and Hans Christensen Andersen in the past just to mention a few. Two Saturday's ago Carolynn worked at the Hukilau and did a nice job and seemed to really enjoy it. We have such a nice group of girls their age and they always have something cooked up.

Mr. Wilson who lives down the street (and is also our Stake Patriarch) lets the kids swim in his pool just about anytime they want so they take their choice between Wilsons, the beach or the pool at the college.

Carol is training in competition swimming and already swims a mile and a half a day, (72 lengths make a mile). Next summer they will compete against some teams in town and who knows? Maybe one of these kids will be in the Olympics next time.

With Carolynn's shoulders she would be real good but it is vigorous traning and she prefers to not do it. She has an excellent teacher [at school] and one that will really encourage her and bring out the best in her. Ann can tell you more about Catherine.[her teacher]. They are going on their Sabatical in January so I think it is really fortunate that Carolynn happened to be here this semester. Our state system gives public school teachers sabaticals too if all things considered suit them and Mrs. Spurriers did, so she and her husband both have worked it out to take their Sabaticals in January. (He works for CCH) What a deal!

I rather expect that when the newness of school wears off and something hard or unpleasant comes up Carolynn might want to return but I hope she'll stick it out because it will be a great source of accomplishment to her.

She has lost about 5 or 6 lbs just from swimming. These kids can't get enough of it.

Last week we took the Pearl Harbor cruise as it is offered free by the navy public relations (which most tourists don't know about) and the commercial tours cost about $15. It is very interesting (especially to older people who remember WWII) and they tell a great deal about December 7th. I sure wish Bill could have been here because I know he would be especially interested. [Bill served in WWII]
I don't have a picture of Carolynn in this computer, but this is about the time I was writing about.  We were in Honolulu to go shopping.  Notice how we always had to keep a firm grip on Ken of he would escape.  Also notice the bare feet!  Can you imagine?


Our ham radio operator has really been busy and so many people want a turn to talk to family [on the mainland] but I hope that we will be ale to get a call in some time soon. [No cell phones in those days and it was VERY expensive to make a call to the mainland.]

I registered yesterday and got all my classes. I'll take Psychology, Book of Mormon, Lettering, Spanish 201, Intermediate Swimming and Devotional. for 12.5 credits so after Monday the letters will be further apart but I'll try to keep them up.

Did the Prices make it over for Labor Day [Joe & family]? If so, tell us all about them.

You know the folks have that tape recorder if you wanted to tape us a letter.

Tell Ann that lots of people have told me they sure miss them, It seemed strange to not see many old familiar faces at school again this year.

How are Mom and Dad? I hope they are BOTH taking it easy and keeping healthy so we can all enjoy a really good family reunion this next summer.

Our Bishop & Mutual President were so thrilled to have Carolynn. They had only 2 Beehive II girls and they were so happy to have another to add to their ranks.

From the sounds of those three girls we had the most fun opening social that has ever been had at a Mutual. They have some tremendous leaders in our Mutual.

Love, Jane
Dad about 34. 
 
Mom, about 31.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mom,

    Loved, loved, LOVED reading this and looking at the pictures! Of those .25 movies (and thank you for that note about us getting a good deal, I thought I was just really, really old, "Back in MY day...") I remember Samson and Delilah best, and whenever I saw Victor Mature afterwards, thought of that.

    As for the Pearl Harbor memorial, my most vivid memory is the guys playing wounded soldiers with orangey-red clearish bubbles about the size of hard-boiled eggs coming out of their stomachs.

    And those red and yellow shaker thingys! Looking at them on that corner shelf, if I close my eyes I can pick them up and hear them rattle and feel those feathers!

    What a beautiful family we are, we were, we ARE. Thank you so much for the values you both instilled.

    I also liked that you were taking classes. I remember you practising lettering and later tole painting. Even today I see tole painting and I think of you.

    Much love!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete