Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A TRIP ACROSS AMERICA


I think most of you are aware that Sashy is taking advantage of Disney's 6 month college program where you work at the resort and also take college classes.  She also auditioned for the chance to be one of the characters and was successful in that as well.  We're still waiting to hear what character she will portray, but as a proud Grandma, I know that whatever it is, she will give it her all.

Suzanne and Sashy decided to make the trek across the USA for a lasting memory as a Mother and Daughter outing.  Here's what Suzanne wrote.

I have always wanted to drive across America, seeing new states and new places. When Sashy knew she was going to Florida and with all of the things that she needed to take, it seemed like the perfect opportunity. (I also HATE to fly which made driving all the more desirable!)



 
 
    I could bore you with a day to day account of our journey but instead, thought it would be better to tell you my top 10 most favorite things about our trip, in no particular order.

1. The tunnel we drove through on our way to Denver - It was very long, very bright and passed right through a mountain. So impressive.

2. All things St. Louis - Wow! what a beautiful city. The archItecture, the road layout, Busch stadium, the St. Louis, MO. temple. It was all amazing. Sash and I both agreed that if we ever had a chance to live in St. Louis, we would jump at it.

3. Kentucky and Tennessee - Greener than green! The freeways are lined with beautiful trees and bushes and stretching beyond them are fields and fences. The gas stations all seemed smaller and more personable and so clean. We had a little rain which cooled things down but I was just so impressed with this part of the journey.
 
4. The hotel at Disneyworld - We checked in on Day 4 of our trip. They asked why we were there, a standard question as I overheard other guests being asked the same thing. I told the man that I was bringing my daughter to begin her performance internship. "Oh," he said, " then that deserves an upgrade!" And so he did. We spent 2 nights in a room that would normally cost $400 a night! We swam in the beautiful oasis pool, we got free guest parking for our car and just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

 
5. The Disney Badge they gave me which said, "Proud Parent" - enough said!

 

6. The lowlands of Alabama and Mississippi - The water comes up to the edge of the land and stops and then the land begins. There is no height difference, no ledge, no deterrence of any kind. You could see how easy it would be to experince flooding. A good rain storm would change the level of the water and that would be it!

7. Seeing my brother and his family in Dallas - It was lovely to stop and visit family. They live in a beautiful area, their house is gorgeous and I was so "looked after". Thank you Tyler tribe!
 
8. The above ground cemetery in Louisiana - you see them in movies but I had never seen one in real life....fascinating.

9. My gorgeous daughter - She is an amazing travel companion. She would make sure that we stopped so that I could close my eyes for 15 minutes here and there. She painted my toenails at the hotel in Georgia. We went for a walk one night after dinner and she was so encouraging about life in general. She was acredit to our family as she worked with her new roommates in Florida and on my drive home, she would text me each night to make sure I was safely at my destination for that evening. She is also a photo hound! She took some wonderful pictures on our travels.

10. Being home - If I wasn't travelling with Sash and I couldn't stay in Florida then I was glad to be home. Seeing Dennis and Daniell on Sunday afternoon and skyping with Kate on Sunday evening.

All in all, it was a very successful trip and one that I will always remember.

 
Thanks for sharing the experience with us.  We look forward to lots of updates.

2 comments:

  1. There are so many once in a lifetimes here! I'm so thrilled for you all.

    Much love!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip. I totally think I must do this sometime and avoid flying over the country. Thanks for the fun top 10 list.

    ReplyDelete