Sunday, November 7, 2010

My husband, the Hero. (As told by Suzanne)


Don't mess with a man's family! Before reading the story that Suzanne relates, you must understand that Dennis jr. is not a big dog fan. You also have to know that Abish probably weighs as much or more than Suzanne. Read on:


My husband, the Hero.

Saturday here was a beautiful day and so Dennis and took full advantage and while he mowed our lawn, trimmed edges and generally prepared the sprinklers for the winter months, I sanded and repainted the front door. Abish was outside with us, lying right by our front steps where I was working, on the grass. She doesn't stray far from us. For those of you that know Abish, she loves her family and likes to be close to them.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw another dog on our lawn sniffing at Abish, trailing its leash and a little girl about 8 yrs old on the sidewalk calling out to the dog and saying she was sorry she let the dog go. I walked towards the dogs when suddenly this large American Boxer attacked Abish, pinning her on her back and biting her ears! I tried to grab this dogs leash and pull it off but it jerked and I missed. Instinct made me get between them but I was knocked to the ground and this dog was hanging onto Abish's ears. She could not move. Dennis came running and tried to seperate them but this dog was so strong. He threw himself on this dog and wrestled it to the ground while I pried its teeth off of Abish. Dennis hung on with all his might all the time yelling, "Get Abish in the house". I couldn't get her to move. I think she was in shock. Meanwhile Dennis is still trying to keep this dog off of Abish. I rolled Abish onto her tummy and pushed/carried her up our front steps and pushed her though the front door. Dennis then let the other dog go and it ran over to the little girl who was by now, in tears and running home with this dog.

Abish was in shock and Dennis was scratched but ok. A few minutes later, a lady came over to apologize. It was her granddaughter who had been walking the dog and lost control. Usually this woman's big burly husband controls this dog with a wag of the finger and a quick"Hey". Anyway, we established that everyone was ok but that maybe this dog should not be in the hands of a little 8 yr old.

When the woman left I asked Dennis what made him get in there like that and save Abish, knowing that he is not particularly a dog lover. He said," I couldn't bare the thought of how it would break my girls' hearts if anything happened to Abish".

My husband, The Hero

4 comments:

  1. Ah, brings a real tear to my eye. All those years of football finally paid off. Good job #59!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Dennis, you da man!! At the very least, the other family should pay for a nice dinner out for Dennis and Suzanne, plus a huge steak fo Abish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next day, I got to thinking about how blessed we were to come out of this as well as we did. Anyway, thanks for the "hero" thing, although I think you're still up on me about a gazillion to 1.

    ReplyDelete