Friday, June 8, 2012

Here's an update from Ashlee for June 5.

Sorry to be spending so much money. It has gotten a bit pricier here as the last 100K is all you need to do to get your certificate and alot of the Spanish have joined [the walk]and its has gotten much busier and pricier but the hostels are also much nicer. Now you can see other hikers all the time. Selfishly I would like the trail to myself. I am still hiking with the Canadian girls and one of the misa cops. I have been hiking the whole time with a cop. First was the Irish one, then the Italian one and now her.

I have been very lucky with rain. Earlier on there were two days of rain. I had no poncho so I had to buy the pilgirm one and it's huge, bright yellow with a red shell on the back and it is hot!! Since then I had only to wear it once and that was yesterday. Rhi wouldn´t have been able to wear it as the neckhole was so small and even I ripped it putting it on. That´s what you get for 6 euros.

We decided to walk far yesterday, so as to have a short day today. We called ahead to make sure we had a place to stay as now it is so busy you have to get there early or walk to the next town.

They gave a deadline of 4pm, so we had to hoof it thru the rain for 8K. We were rosting, so we took off our rain gear and decided to just get  wet. but we made it. Lucky or it wouwld ahve been a hike to the next place.

The fauna has changed it is more piney and more misty alot like NZ really.

I have less then 65 K or so left and I am definately ready to come home. its been nice but it will be nice to stop walking as well. I miss you guys and am looking forward to home and just taking Remi sized walks. I am in Pailias de Rei.


And this in just today.

Estoy in Santiago!!!

29 days and I have finally made it to Santiago. I got my compostela. Weird to think that I will not have to walk tomorrow after 822 Kms. We did some long days to get here in time and I will be able to take a short bus to Finisterre. [I think that is where she departs to America.]It's weird that what would take 3 days to walk to now is only a 5 buck bus trip.

I am exhausted. It was quite strange, and slightly surreal being at the church which was the goal for so long. It was very impressive but alas, you can no longer put your hand on the column anymore.

It has been so hard and fun but i am so very very tired.

Love you lots should have time to write tomorrow.  I need to take a  shower!!

Ash


No comments:

Post a Comment