Thursday, June 7, 2012

1940 US CENSUS


Every ten years a USA Census is taken. The 1940 Census was just released to the public.

Dennis Jr. volunteers to go through assigned pages and enter them in the computer. It requires reading hand written entries, some of which are hard to decipher. By entering them into a data base, they are available for easy reading for anyone to access. Here is a sample of what he came across recently.

This is a page that would need transcribing to a computer data base.


Note lines 62 to 67.
It shows Price, Joseph P. as head of the family. "M" for male, race,"W",  age at last birthday54, "M" married.  Ken: Note my dad was 52 when I was born!
At the time of the census, I was age 3, Betty 16, Joe 11, Mary Ann 7

Here's some pictures taken around that time frame. 

About a year after I was born, my parents after many years of struggles and hardships had saved enough money to my a lot and begin building their first home.  We all went out to the lot and took a turn at digging a spade full of dirt.  Even me! For the new house, they bought all new appliances and it was a good thing.  All during WWII and for awhile after you couldn't get anything new.  Mom had one of the first automatic washing machines.  A Bendix and she was still using it after I was married! 

My father, Joseph Pratt Price

My mother, Avon Averett Price

Betty Avon with her little sister Carol Jane

Joe Jr.

Mary Ann & Carol Jane
We moved into the home about 1939, a year before the census was taken.
1605 South 8th East, SLC, Utah

My grandparents came for a visit to see our new home (abt 1939).
Back row: Joseph (Dad), JR (Joseph Rueben, aka Grandpa Price)
"Aunt Lena" (Grandpa's second wife),  Avon (Mother).
Joe Jr., Betty, Mary Ann, Carol Jane 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool pix and a slice of family history. Thanks for sharing, ma!

    Love,

    Jr.

    ReplyDelete