Friday, June 27, 2014

WOMAN CANNOT LIVE BY ONLY PACKING

Most my days (nowadays) are spent going through "things", tossing, keeping, packing. It's been a good time to weed out a lot of "stuff" and save my kids the trouble of doing it later! Therapeutic, freeing, melancholy, sad, happy, - well you get the idea. A whole gamut of feelings.

While living in Hawaii, I found a muu-muu factory where you could go and buy a shopping bag of scraps for 50 cents. I bought about 4 bags and some of the scraps were large enough to make little Julie several outfits.


Then I made January, who was heading off to college, a scrap quilt of 4" squares and "tied" it (no time to really quilt in those days) to remind her of her Hawaiian days while she attended BYU. 

The scraps were like Topsy. They just kept "growing". No matter what I made, there were still bags of scraps. I couldn't bear to throw them away knowing that someday I would do something else with them. So, 45 years later, I decided that I needed a diversion from the joys of packing.
The pile on the ironing board are ready to press,
the ones on the little table have been pressed
and the scraps on the floor (front) are
waiting in line
.




I retrieved the bin with the scraps, (from the garage), pressed them and tossed out the ones too small to use 








The "didn't make its" are
piling up on the floor.

Too small
Then it was into the kitchen where I started cutting the 4" x 8" rectangles. 



Those scraps went on the kitchen floor.

The pile got bigger.


Finally I had my stack of blocks.


 ((Note: there is still a 1/2 bag - at least- of scraps remaining!)


 It was time to audition them on the design wall. I plan to have them set with a 1" strip in between the blocks, hence the spacing on the wall.



Then I got to thinking, hummmmm, maybe black would be a good contrast so I laid them out on the floor on a piece of black material.


What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Mom! What fun!!! I LOVE that fabric, and remember all those cute outfits you made for Julie. In fact, I think of them whenever I make pinafores for my dolls (because the the cross back).

    Hmm....black or white? Black...or white? I honestly have gone back and forth and can't decide! You would think I would instantly prefer the black, but nope! I like 'em both! You can't lose!!

    LOVE YOU,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black! This is going to be an amazing quilt. Love you, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the black looks very cool and sleek. Maybe a light brown might look more Hawaiian, but it is a wonderful projec.t

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in awe how awesome and vibrant the fabric looks after all these years. Am I understanding correctly that these scraps are nearly a half century old? Anyway, it all looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vote is for black the colors really pop against it. I had no idea muumuu fabric was so mod back in the day. Fun cheery colors and patterns so glad you're making a quilt with them. Just wondering how long it took to cut them all out?

    ReplyDelete