Thursday, June 12, 2014

THROWBACK THURSDAY

In preparing for this next phase of my life, I have been sorting through things, tossing some and keeping others. I decided to toss our yearbooks, but I tore out a couple of pages, and photocopied the book. Here goes. . . 

I attended North Phoenix High School. At the end of the year, we got our Yearbooks (which I think they still do today). Our school mascot was the Mustang (horse). Our rival high school would taunt us at sports games by singing the song, The Old Grey Mare She Ain't What She Used To Be. Rather insulting for our magnificent stallion horse, but actually kind of clever.Our Yearbook was called Hoofbeats. 



 This was my yearbook picture. (and I thought you'd enjoy seeing some girls practicing a dance. We dressed a bit differently back then, didn't we?


Of course you had to have your friends sign your yearbook, but I "reserved" a page just for my sweetheart. You'll notice he spelled my name J A Y N E. For a time, being tired of just 'plain' JANE, I decided to be more flamboyant and change the spelling. It didn't last long.

To save your eyes, I have re-typed what Dad wrote below. It's very sweet and endearing.


Dearest Jayne,
In this your last full year of school at North Phoenix, you have spent a great deal of time with me. I know, too, that I kept you a lot of times from studying to make higher marks that you are capable of, but I would still do it over again for the genuine pleasure of your companionship and love. The last school year of 9 months has seen: our first date, and dating, my asking, and our going steady, dozens of wonderful days and evenings spent with you, our fights and making up; my asking to marry you, your answer, yes; our asking my folks and then your wonderful parents; the engagement ring; and the plans of an event that will be most singular event of our life, our marriage.
               As I pause to think of the many weeks, months, years and yes, even eternity before us, my heart swells with love and joy, and I thank God for his kindness in our lives being fused together as one. This last school year of your will always bring back the happiest of memories to me. I hope that you will feel the same way as I.
               My heart is filled with more love for you than I ever thought could exist in one man’s being and soul.

You presence along my side throughout all eternity is a blessing I don’t deserve, but if this is to be mine, then I will be the happiest most in love person in the world. I wish I could write something like Edgar Allen Poe, How I love Thee” to you. (I think he was thinking of E.B. Browning and Songs from the Portuguese, How Do I Love Thee . . but isn’t it sweet that he thought of EA Poe! cja) For my word, action and deeds I know sadly fall below my thought and intentions, but I love you more for the way you over look my many faults.
               May you have and know more love, joy, happiness and contentment in all your lifetime; may you have it with me is what I constantly pray for all my waking hours.
               I now sign off with all my love, devotion and happiness I give to you.
               I love you very much.
Your loving husband-to-be.
ox Dennis xo

3 comments:

  1. Now that is a beautifully written yearbook entry. I don't think I ever received one of those quite with those sentiments. Very wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness, Mom! I of course knew it, but here once again is proof of a love for the ages!

    Aren't you lucky? Isn't he? Aren't we ALL?! So glad you went to that dance so many years ago.

    XOXOXOX

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Well done, papa. I think he did a pretty fine job there after all. E.A. Poe and E.B. Browning would be proud. Thanks for sharing, mom!

    ReplyDelete