Tuesday, July 23, 2013

GREATER ROLFE DAYS - 150 YEARS

Ken was in Rolfe, Iowa for the big celebration and helped his one sister put on the final touches for her house that was to be in the Parade of Homes, and the other sister with some much needed projects. Here's what Julie wrote:

Can you believe the day is finally here.  It has always seemed off in the distant future.  We worked until 11:00 last night and I am up at 5:00 to finish cleaning.  It will be a happy day after 3:30!  Ken has been a lot of help and with him here I was able to attempt wallpapering the bathroom.  It didn't go smoothly but it is done! Hope at least a few people show up. 

Ken got to use his favorite new tool, a power washer. He did the whole outside of the house and then helped vacuum inside and other tasks.
 Julie needed a little extra boost to reach the top.

 Done and done!

Beautiful!

They did show up. Ken knew they would and so he bought a ton of cookies to serve and they had nearly 200 people tour their home.

Here's a few other pictures:
 Upstairs guest room.

  Living room.

How about Ruth's "obi"!

3 Seasons room.

Then Ruth wrote a little about Ken's visit.

Ken got a TON of nice things done for me. 
I now have a toilet that flushes, a screen instead of glass in my storm door (nice breeze!), a suspicious hole patched in my attic (it didn't go all the way through, but now I am no longer suspicious, which is a PLUS), a patched bay window roof in my entryway, the air conditioner unit is out of my bedroom window (I only need/like it when we're going through a heat wave when there's no cooling off), my lawns mowed and the edges trimmed, and perhaps nicest of all, a NEW GATE for my backyard! Well, maybe not nicer than having a toilet that flushes, but close!



For the gate, previously I'd have to unhook two chain link sections that were crudely "twist-tied" together to open up a large section to get the riding mower through. Not only that, the twist ties left a gap  large enough for Teddy to escape, so even though I have a fenced back yard, I'd have to stake Teddy back there giving him very little freedom. Teddy's still quite the escape artist so I won't trust the backyard quite yet, but the crude "gate" was the biggest point of escape. As soon as Greater Rolfe Days is over and the town is less crowded, I'm going to test the back yard and see how secure it is with him. 

Ruth, basking in her newly mowed lawn

Saturday was the big parade. Ken took a few pictures.
S
 Parade route.

 This man built this to honor his wife who is a cancer survivor, or "U can survive".
 New gathering place in Rolfe. Julie & Scott had a lot to do with this.
Ruth took advantage of all the visitors to Rolfe to promote her new website. The book launches soon!
at




2 comments:

  1. It was a fantastic weekend and so good to see Ken and I was glad my sister was out of the hospital! I took the next week off from projects but am now ready to start working in my gardens. I really appreciate all of the help my brother offered ~ he was an amazing worker and thanks to his family for letting us borrow him for a weekend! We are glad the tour is over but now once in a while we have people mention they couldn't make the tour so can they come and have a look?? Incentive to keep the house clean....Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny was a HUGE help! And YOOHOO, KENNY!! I have another HONEYDOO list for yooooouuu!

    Julie's house looks GREAT. She'd been working long and hard on it. I was there for a bit handing out fliers. Fun for the whole family!

    I tested my backyard today for Teddy-proofness while I was having my head shot taken for publicity for the book. It worked! Teddy was still alive at the end of the two hour session and hadn't escaped! THANK YOU for the gate, Kenny!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete