Sunday, December 19, 2010

YES VIRGINIA, WE HAVE A MARATHON MAN!.

This is a picture of Mark the night before the race showing what he'll wear.

Well folks, he did it! Mark Sanders completed the Honolulu Marathon and as far as I know, he is the first and only in our family to do a marathon. Well done Mark. We're proud of you. Here are his thoughts the night before the big race.

11 December 2010

I feel extremely nervous, lots of anxiety, excited about the possibility of finishing and don’t know what to expect for the 2010 Honolulu marathon. It is 7:28pm Hawaii time (Saturday night) and I am getting up at 2:23am tomorrow morning to catch a taxi at 3:00am to go to the marathon starting point. The marathon begins at 5am and I hope to finish in 5 hours. I know that is a bad time, but my training was slowed the last five weeks due to a troubled left knee, weather in the teens, darkness and a lack of motivation to complete the race. But now that it is here, I must run the race. I cannot “wimp” out now and must complete the race. I am nervous because I don’t know what to expect and feel unprepared about the task at hand. I know that my legs will kill and my body will ache all over, but I need to suck it up and get the job done. It is me against myself – mind over matter. I ate Chicken Alfredo at the Cheesecake Factory to carb load and have been chugging water all day. Got to just relax and dominate in the race tomorrow. I have a distinct advantage over others as I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs. I have never really competed in an official race since high school (sophomore year) for Cross Country. I will make a full report tomorrow once I complete!

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I am so proud of you and your tremendous accomplishment! Also, the story you wrote also shows that you would be a good reporter or author. Hope that foot gets feeling better soon, I know it will, and you can always said you ran AND COMPLETED a marathon in Hawaii. Howmany can say that I ask you?

    Grandpa Agle

    ReplyDelete