Monday, February 22, 2016

THE LIFE STORY OF CAROL JANE PRICE AGLE - PART 3

The Life Story of Carol Jane Price Agle -  (Part 3)

FIRST GRADE

The next year when I was old enough to advance to 1st grade, it was fun to be one of the “older” children.

In the first grade, I remember how hard it was to learn the alphabet.  There was a popular song called, I’ve Got a Gal in KALAMAZOO. It began with A B C D E F G H I which I learned so I knew that much of the alphabet, but I didn’t know the rest. (I guess the A B C song was not known to me). In class, the teacher would call one of us up to the front to recite the alphabet. I panicked fearing she would call on me and sure enough she did! I got about as far as adding J, K & L but when the teacher realized I didn’t know the full alphabet, she told me I would have to have it memorized by the next day! Memorization has never been my strong suit but mother worked all evening with me and I finally had it mastered. The next day, to my big disappointment, the teacher never called on me!  

(Below is a 7 minute clip from a 1942 movie, “Orchestra Wives”. It’s a 40s dance band at their best - Glenn Miller no less, - but if you don’t want to watch the band and the singers, go to about 5:00 and you will see some amazing dancing by the Nicholas Brothers. I know you will be entertained!) 

Kalamazoo

When we first lived in Salt Lake City, we didn’t have a car nor did we need one. My family lived right downtown where they could walk to church, the Temple and any shopping they needed to do.

However, when they moved out to their new home it was time to get a car. Dad advertised in the paper and people would drive their (used) car out to our house for him to have a look at. He finally decided on a 1940 Pontiac, (about 2 years old). I don’t know what he paid for it, but it was in cash as most transactions were in those days. No credit cards then. If you didn’t have the cash, you usually saved up until you did.




The first drive we took in it I was terrified because I didn’t think my Daddy knew how to drive since they had never had a car while I was alive. I buried myself on the floor of the back seat knowing we were going to crash and die until my Mother assured me he DID know how to drive and was a very good driver. We felt really very special now that we had our very own car.























Here's a picture in our back yard of some neighborhood kids. Dad with Mary Ann and me. Joe was a leader and always had a pack of his friends to play cowboys and Indians, or soldiers, etc. We had a fort, and he was always the caption. Here he is petting our dog Blackie, with some of his friends. Mrs. Thomas our housekeeper is in the back.




I loved our cat Silky and wanted a picture of both of us!






It was very special when my paternal grandparents came to visit and see our new home.

The 3 Josephs: JR (Joseph Rueben), Joseph Pratt, and Joe jr., Betty, Aunt Lena (JR's second wife and Grandma Price had died), Avon, Mary Ann and Carol Jane.

We lived in that home about four years until Dad got tired of shoveling snow and his restless foot began to itch. He made a visit to Phoenix, Arizona and decided we should move there where they had beautiful winters with no snow.  (Of course he had never been there in the summer)!

1 comment:

  1. Love, love these photos, never seen any of them before. what a treat.

    ReplyDelete