Wednesday, February 3, 2016

LIFE STORY OF CAROL JANE PRICE AGLE (PART 1)



The Life Story of Carol Jane Price Agle (part 1) 

Towards the end of the year 1936, on the day before the ghosts and goblins go looking to do tricks if they don’t get treats, I was born, October 30th in Salt Lake City, Utah in the LDS hospital.  I was the 4th and last child of Joseph Pratt and Avon Averett Price and I’m sure they would have preferred a boy to even things out, but I always felt welcome and loved in my home.

My parents had been married for nearly 15 years and were just beginning to not have to worry where the next meal was coming.  They had married during very hard times and had struggled through the depression like so many others.  Moving to SLC a few years before I was born, Dad found a job managing several apartment buildings that were owned by the LDS church.  He did everything including painting, plumbing, carpentry and of course collecting the rent.  Many of the renters were widow ladies and often he was called on to change lightbulbs, fix a broken chair or anything that elderly, single women could not do for themselves.

Me on the front yard. Abt 18 mon.
The whole family. Note the Tabernacle in the background.
They rented a beautiful old Victorian home right across from the  Salt Lake Tabernacle at 37 N West Temple. One of my memories of that home is the 2 double sliding doors in the entryway. To the left was the dining room and the right the sitting room and straight ahead were very steep stairs going up to the second floor.


When I was about a year old, my parents bought a city lot and began building their very own home.  Not actually building it themselves, but doing their best to inspect it almost everyday to check its progress. 



Dad & Mother
Ground breaking day.



Almost finished. Mary Ann in doorway.

At last the day came for the big move in.  Mother, Dad, Joe and Mary Ann rode in the moving truck, (we did not own a car - -who needed a car when you lived in the city) and Betty brought me later on the bus.  The house was located 16 blocks South of the Salt Lake Temple and 8 blocks East.




These were happy years for the family.  Dad had a good job.  Mom was thrilled to finally have her own home and was very involved in anything to do with music in the Ward, Stake and even the region. At this time Betty Avon was about 15, Joseph Pratt Jr., 10, Mary Ann 6 and I was 2. 

4 comments:

  1. Loved to read this and the photos are wonderful most I have never seen! Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had mixed feelings about doing it, so thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, Mom! NEAT. Love seeing the old pictures - and now I want to do a PILGRIMAGE!!! Such a wonderful era, and I'm so glad you're doing this. I'm learning LOTS.

    LOVE you!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best thing ever. Well at least this week. Thanks Mom for sharing. These will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete