Sunday, September 8, 2013

UPDATE ON ELDER AGLE

Here are a some excerpts from a couple of letters that Davis wrote home. He leaves this Monday for Ventura to begin his mission in the field. This one is to his Dad. 

Thank you for your kind letters and good advice; I'll try to follow them to the utmost I can. It's hard to believe I've been gone over a week, but so I have.... and I'll be gone many more weeks before I return. I will return with Honor, that I know, and I hope you'll be proud of me when I do.

Oh! This is important: on Monday I'll be leaving for Ventura, and I'll have some time to make a phone call home when that happens.
So be ready for that, which I believe will happen in the morning, but if you don't get one then I'll be sure to call in the afternoon. I'll be flying to Denver before going to California... so it should be an interesting day.

At any rate, life at the MTC isn't too bad, except for the fact that we're basically an experimental phase of it. See, I'm at the new campus, which was opened close to a week ago. The new Campus is an old apartment complex that was used for BYU housing, but now is being phased into MTC classrooms and housing. It's not too bad, since we have more room (but one bathroom for 6 elders does not a quick morning make) and the walking distance means we're perpetually rushing about. 
I must admit that the teachers are great, as they're nice and very good at what they do. It's great practice, primarily of role playing and discussions on various pieces of doctrine and Preach My Gospel. So... yeah, that's going great. I'm also king of Four Square currently, though Wednesday was my last time to have gym before I leave for Ventura. 

Uh... what else to say? I have a missionary in my district who is flooded with packages; he's received 14 as of yesterday and I can only imagine he'll have 2 more tonight. He's doing pretty well gift wise. Note: I'm not asking for an increase of packages, I just thought it was funny.

Also, the choir is fantastic, as it was a great rendition of Sweet Hour of Prayer, and the choir conductor really got us into it with talks of how he felt about the song, the origin of the song and just being funny. 
At any rate I love you all and I wish I had more to say. Any suggestions for adjusting to the sleep schedule? I'm used to sleeping less, but I feel worse probably from the early wake up times.

Love ya,
Elder Davis Agle

And here's an excerpt from a letter to his Mom.

And Dear Mother,

I sent the letter the other day, but I'm unsure of when it will arrive. And I did receive the care package and it was wonderful! Thank you... thank you so much for the gifts especially the photo album.

 I dearly miss being home, more than I've ever before and I know why... Before I was able to be connected to everyone at any time in no time at all. All it took for me to do so was to connect to the internet or 4G and I was there... so the world never seemed small. Now that I have to go without the internet and all electronics (pretty much) it's much harder to be connected to anyone or anything. Sigh... I do wish they would hurry and allow us missionaries to do more work via other means... I'm sure I could do a lot of it in many ways. However, I'll continue with my work as I have been instructed.

My companions are nice enough, though they do get on my nerves every so often. We failed a housing inspection partially because one of our companion pairs neglected to fix their beds and clothing. Oh well, we cleaned it all up so it should be fine.
I wish I could be on time as often as you, as being on the new campus and having a schedule frequently full of miss information is a bit more difficult. The worse part is now that I'm pretty much on top of everything here I'll be departing for Ventura on Monday. I suppose that's what happens when you are an English speaking missionary. I also have an urge to pick up a language... I may have watched a talk by President Uchtdorf that discussed foreign languages whilst here at the MTC. So... I may ask for a Norwegian or German book, I dunno.

So life at home is good, which I'm glad to hear. I'm not sure what I am to do... but I'll learn the old fashion way.

I love you all and I look forward to seeing you again. For now we'll have to settle for a phone call, which will happen on Monday, probably in the morning. I believe I'll be calling Dad, so be ready. 

Love you all,
Elder Davis Agle.

1 comment:

  1. AND! As many might know from Facebook, the "make it happen" Kenny managed to see Davis at the airport! It sounds like it was a much needed thing for both. And it sincerely warmed the cockles of my heart to read that from Ken and see the pictures.

    Go forth and conquer, Davis!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete