Sunday, June 23, 2013

HERE IT IS IN DAVIS' OWN WORDS

Hi Grandma, here's the report you requested:

 I'm back from my trip to the Big Apple, which was very enjoyable. I spent the first day by taking a plane ride at midnight to New York City, and then Dad drove us over to Washington D.C. I must admit, it's a bit odd to see those food marts and gas stations in the middle of the freeways, as it is quite a bit different from the west. Everything also was older, more chaotic and crowded, it seemed.

Anyway, we got to D.C. and proceeded to walk around the Mall. We first saw the Vietnam Memorial (which was especially touching and tear jerking as it was Father's Day and thus had quite a few roses and such)

and then proceeded to the Lincoln Memorial. It's a fantastic looking building, with beautiful marble used for the statue. We continued walking the mall, and once we reached Washington's Memorial, I was surprised; I had been lead to believe that the monument was quite a bit smaller than it is. It's currently under reconstruction following damage from natural disasters, but it was awesome. We also saw the WWII memorial,

 before heading off to see the Smithsonian's (or a few of them, at least). We went to the old Castle, then spent a good amount of time wandering the Aeronautics and Space Museum. Lastly we spent some time in the Museum of Natural History, which has some fantastic animals, sea creatures, humans and rocks. The rocks and crystals were certainly the coolest part of the museum.

To save on time, and my feet, we took a ride with a bike taxi over to the Jefferson Memorial. And then we headed to our car in order to go to my favorite monument: Theodore Roosevelt's.

It's a fantastic one, that I feel best represents the person they're for out of all the monuments. It was an island, rather empty of people, full of trees and woods. In one area, the trees opened up to the heavens making a sort of dome, and in there TR stood, arm raised, and behind him stood four tablets bearing quotes of his. It was a beautiful place and fairly serene if you could ignore the sound of planes. 

Afterwards we drove off to New York City, where we returned the car and took the subway to our hotel. The hotel is named the Sohotel and is situated next to China Town and Little Italy. 

On Monday, I headed off to the Empire State Building.

 This trip took far longer than it should have as I became quite lost. I'll note that I only got lost perhaps 3 or 4 times (once ending up in Brooklyn) though this was the worst. I did, however, find some buildings I knew from history classes, and I also found Madison Park. I did eventually reach the Empire State Building, and the view was fantastic.
 Dad and I met up later on and ate at a pizza place, which was tasty, before wandering around some more. We eventually found a Gelato shop, which was awesome! I could go for some more, to be honest.

Anyway, Tuesday was the least eventful. I went to the museum of natural history, which was nice enough but was really similar to the Smithsonian on Natural History. As such, I didn't spend a terribly large amount of time, but I did try and see most of the building. It was a bit larger than I expected, as many things turned out to be. For example, Central Park for having relatively small dimensions, is quite huge. It's one of my favorite places in New York, and I unfortunately didn't have enough time to explore most of it.

I proceeded to find the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and it was nice enough.

 Most of it was full of ancient art, which although interesting, was not terribly different from other things I'd seen. However, the American wing was much more interesting. It contained many different paintings that I thought were of an interesting style, as well as very pretty sculptures; however, the best portion was the weaponry. They had many different weapons, armors and such from all over the world, and all were ornate and fantastic. 

Anyway, that night we saw a musical on Broadway based on the lives of the members of the Four Seasons. It was nice and the music was pretty good, and very similar to the original singers.

The next day, a Wednesday, I proceeded to go to the Rockefeller Plaza. It's really cool area there, with interesting art and architecture, and I went to the Top of the Rock(efeller) and it has a view that rivals the Empire State Building; in fact, it stands straight across from it. Anyways, the view was great and there was this seemingly random room which would track occupants and assign them lights on the roof and walls that would react to their movements. 

I wandered the Plaza for another 2 hours, viewing the shops (including Nintendo World) and generally enjoying it. I then moseyed over to the Museum of Modern Art, the most controversial experience of my trip. 

I say the most controversial because I'm torn between feelings of confusion and plain dislike towards the even numbered floors (excluding half of the sixth floor) and great enjoyment of the odd numbered ones. The 2nd floor, the first floor with art, had much of the more recent art and much of it was things I didn't really think of as art, and/or were quite silly or plain dumb. This included the constant donations of a woman's hair, nail clippings and, upon her demise, her cremated remains. Yep, not a word there was hyperbole or metaphor. I didn't spend much time on the 4th floor for similar reasons.

On the other hand, the 2nd floor contained sculptures that had uses, including one that was used to activate mines as well as video games including one of my favorites: Portal. There was also a copy of Pac Man, Tetris, Katamari Damacy and others. Furthermore, they were playing music from the games. The rest of the 2nd floor was full of architectural drawings, models and other such objects. 

I couldn't find a picture of Starry Night, but this one is nice, Wheatfield with Cypresses) and Davis probably saw it too. (cja)

The 5th floor contained one of my favorite pieces of art: Van Goth's Starry Night. It was beautiful to see it in person, and I also managed to see some of Monet's Lilies. The 6th floor is half of art I didn't care for and the other half contains more architectural art, which I do enjoy.

That night, Father and I went to see another musical, this time we saw the Newsies.


 It was also quite good, and the set changes were quick and efficient. I do feel like some of the songs were too repetitive or went on too long, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I also spent some time in the intermission, finish and start scribbling on a survey they gave out (which I never did get to return to them).

On Thursday, our last day in town, I went to take a cruise around the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I would've gone to the island itself, but it's sadly still under construction from the damage dealt by Super Storm Sandy. My journey to the cruise was a long one, full of mistaken finish places, wrong subway choices, and eventually resulted in me getting fed up and just walking. Still, I made it in time to the ship where I spent my time standing on the bow of the ship, feeling the wind in my face, and learning that I still burn really easily. Anyways, the view was stupendous, and the Freedom Tower is at its full height (an impressive one too) and someday they will be completed. 

We returned home that night, late and tired. It was a fantastic trip, but I need this short break before I return to the East Coast this upcoming Thursday for my trip to Florida. 

P.S. I suppose I forgot to mention the two times I nearly got hit by a car, but hey, I didn't.

Thanks for the great report, Davis!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, lucky! Thank you so much for the in depth report. I only know what I know of New York from movies and this is the most extensive "real live" retelling I've heard! Going there myself is on my bucket list.

    Sounds like you had an excellent time. Congrats!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the recap, and even more so quite the trip. Sounds like you put more than a few miles on those feet. (Good training!)

    ReplyDelete