Tuesday, March 8, 2016

THE LIFE STORY OF CAROL JANE PRICE AGLE (PART 4)


GOODBYE UTAH 

Knowing we would be leaving Utah, my mother decided to have a portrait taken of her with two of her daughters. This was done at Z C M I, the BEST store in Salt Lake City.
They had everything in that store and it was so fun to go shopping there with my mother. 

I loved how pretty she looked in that hat and loved that beautiful pin she was wearing. It had a ruby stone set in the middle. I am wearing one of my all time favorite dresses she made for me and the Christmas before Betty had given me a real gold locket and an opal ring. I kept them safe in my mothers jewelry box but they were stolen along with all of Mom's good jewelry and Dad's cameo ring when our house was robbed in Arizona.

Mother also had a hand tinted picture done of  both
Mary Ann and me. 
(Sorry I don't have a copy of hers.)






Except for Dad, no one wanted to move. It was sad to leave our new home and our friends.

Just before leaving we drove up to say goodbye to Betty who was in BYU nursing school and living in the dorms. She had decided to stay and get her nursing degree.






We moved in July of 1943 during WWII when everything was rationed and my memory of the trip was how hot it was and all the flat tires we had because you could not buy new tires during the war years. If you had a flat, it involved taking off the tire, (-remember this is July in Arizona! No A/C in those days-) taking out the inner tube, looking for the puncture, patching it, inserting it back into the tire, blowing up the inner tube with a hand pump and remounting it on the wheel.  It took quite awhile and in the middle of summer in Arizona it was H-O-T.  Mom and Dad in the front seat and Mary Ann, Joe and me ( in the middle of course) in the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment