Thursday, October 3, 2013

THROWBACK THURSDAY

One of my creative outlets when I was a young Mom was sewing. I loved sewing outfits for my children. When January and Carol were little, I often made their outfits to match or at least out of the same material.

Here they are sitting on our "new" piano bench. The piano was a surprise for me when I returned home from the hospital with Dennis jr. A total surprise! Somehow, on our meager salary and Dad going to school full time and working full time, he managed to buy me a piano and have it waiting for me when I got home!

Words can't express how I loved that generous gesture. It was pretty old, and BIG, but had a nice tone and it was heaven to me to have that piano.
Here's another outfit I made for Easter 1958. The dresses were 'polished cotton', a new treatment that made the cotton shiney. I think we stole the show, don't you? 
I didn't make his outfit, but I did make the quilt!


3 comments:

  1. Definitely stole the show. Beautiful. Of course, I think you made my suit in 1977 or so. Now that was a show stopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and I think that will be a blog in the future!

      Delete
  2. Mom, I really enjoy all of your posts but is especially fun to see old photos and your memories of them! Love you, Julie

    ReplyDelete